The Trinkhalle is located in the centre of the imperial city and only 200 metres from the railway station or the bus terminal. The Catholic parish church and the historic post and telegraph office are in the immediate vicinity. Then as now, the former Wandelhalle is the first port of call for guests of Bad Ischl.
The history of the Trinkhalle
IN SALE ET IN SOLE OMNIA CONSISTUNT - Everything is based on salt and the sun
The historical and contemporary importance of Bad Ischl as a spa is impressively represented architecturally by the former Trinkhalle, built in 1829-31 as the "Wirerbad" and named after Dr. Franz Wirer, the founder of the Ischl spa and personal physician to the imperial family.
The "Soolenbadhaus" was designed by the Viennese architect Franz Xaver Lössl in 1828 in the form of a "Greek temple with a beautiful foyer". Seriously altered and extended 20 years later, the central main entrance with its featured columns was retained. The elegant, spacious interior with a length of almost 80 metres served as a Wandelhalle for the spa guests who took their drinking cures here, and later also as a stage for spa music. The south wing with the bathing cabins was demolished after the completion of the Kurmittelhaus in the 1950s.
After the Second World War, the demolition of the entire building was discussed in order to create a spacious town square. This did not come to pass, however, as the building was tenaciously defended by enthusiastic spa guests and culturally aware residents. However, a renovation of the Biedermeier building, which was not winter-proof, was a long time coming. It was not until 2007 that this revitalisation took place, after the municipality was able to acquire the Trinkhalle from the province of Upper Austria and adapt it as a central exhibition building for the 2008 provincial exhibition.
Today, the Trinkhalle no longer has its function as a spa facility but serves as a "house of guests" and has been firmly anchored in the life of the city through extensive use for cultural, tourist and social purposes.
The Trinkhalle as an event centre
The former Trinkhalle and monument to Ischl's spa tradition shines in new splendour and is now the top location for your events. Glamorous galas, glittering parties, concert performances, exhibitions and much more. Celebrate in the imperial ambience which our guests have appreciated for decades.
The premises of the Trinkhalle can be individually adapted to your wishes. Thanks to two separable wings and the impressive entrance area, the Trinkhalle offers space for every kind of event.
West wing: 28.3 x 8.1 m (230 m²)
-banquet - 150 persons
-lecture - 200 persons
-Parliament - 100 persons
-standing room - 300 persons
East wing: 25.2 x 8.1 m (205 m²)
-banquet - 130 persons
-lecture - 180 persons
-parliament - 80 persons
-standing room - 280 persons
Foyer: 14.4 x 14.3 m (187 m²)
-banquet - 30 persons
-standing room - 100 persons
With maximum seating in the halls, the foyer must be kept free. All halls with daylight, east and west wings can be darkened.